Onion Poisoning (Allium Toxicosis) in Dogs

Published on
Last updated on
4 min read

Key takeaways

When dogs eat garlic, onions, or other Allium species, red blood cell damage results. This is often called onion toxicosis, no matter what type of allium plant was consumed.

  • Onion toxicosis is potentially life-threatening
  • After eating a sufficient quantity of plants from the allium family, dogs develop either or both of two groups of symptoms: GI irritation and anemia
  • Gastrointestinal irritation such as vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain occur shortly after ingestion
  • Symptoms of anemia develop over the next several days, which include rapid breathing, lethargy, appetite loss, and pale gums
  • Diagnostics include a thorough history, physical examination, bloodwork, and urinalysis, especially if a history of allium plant ingestion is unknown
  • The goal of early treatment is to remove all possible ingested material to limit damage to blood cells using decontamination and supportive care
Are you concerned?

Connect with a vet to get more information about your pet’s health.

Book an online vet

A closer look: Onion Poisoning (Allium Toxicosis) in Dogs

Onions and other plants in the allium family contain oxidizing compounds that damage red blood cells. If the dog’s red blood cell regeneration cannot keep up with the damage, anemia results.

Professional advice from a pet poison hotline or veterinary professional is helpful for determining the risks associated with onion ingestion. All forms - fresh, dried, and powdered - are toxic with powders being the most concentrated, garlic being the most toxic (3-5 times more toxic than onions), and chives and leeks the least toxic. The toxic dose of fresh onions in healthy dogs is anything over 15 grams per kilogram of body weight.

Risk factors

While ingestion of any amount of onion (and other Allium species) causes red blood cell damage, healthy dogs have an abundance of red cells and are always making more. The prognosis depends on the amount consumed and the extent of resulting red blood cell damage.

Timely intervention immediately after ingestion makes a big difference in the prognosis and is the best way to avoid serious health effects. Onion toxicosis is potentially lethal if enough is consumed to cause a life-threatening degree of red blood cell damage.

Possible causes

Onion poisoning results when a dog consumes a toxic dose of garlic, onions, chives, or leeks, either all at once, or after small ingestions over time.

Main symptoms

Sometimes onion toxicosis also leads to kidney damage.

Testing and diagnosis

Dogs presenting for treatment within four hours of ingestion of a potentially dangerous dose of onion, etc., undergo induction of vomiting or gastric lavage to remove as much onion from the digestive system as possible.

Note: induction of vomiting and administration of activated charcoal should only be performed by a veterinarian. There is no safe way to induce vomiting at home.

Dogs with no known ingestion presenting with symptoms of anemia undergo routine diagnostic testing such as physical examination, bloodwork, and urinalysis.

Steps to Recovery

There is no antidote for onion toxicosis, so baseline bloodwork and repeated monitoring are useful for dogs presenting too late for decontamination.

Treatment for severe anemia includes IV fluid administration, supplemental oxygen, and blood transfusions.

Prognosis is dependent on the size of the ingested dose, the efficacy of decontamination efforts, and the severity of the resulting anemia.


To reduce the possibility of onion toxicosis do not allow access to onions, garlic, chives, or leeks. Strategies include:

  • Cleaning up promptly if these plants are dropped on the floor while cooking; keeping dogs out of the kitchen while preparing food
  • Fencing any garden beds containing these plants
  • Ensuring any indoor plants, garlic braids, or other means of growing or storing these plants are well out of reach of pets
  • Not sharing people food; storing leftover people food in sealed containers away from pets

Is Onion Poisoning (Allium Toxicosis) in Dogs common?

Ingestion of Allium spp. plants is common in dogs, but ingestion of enough to cause life-threatening anemia is not. Eating small portions of foods seasoned with these plants does not usually pose a significant risk to healthy, larger dogs.

Typical Treatment

  • Induction of vomiting
  • Gastric lavage
  • Activated charcoal
  • Intravenous fluids
  • Supplemental oxygen
  • Blood transfusion


Tina Wismer, DVM, DABVT, DABT - Writing for Veterinary Partner
Renee Schmid, DVM, DABVT, DABT; Ahna Brutlag, DVM, MS, DABT, DABVT; Lynn Buzhardt, DVM - Writing for VCA Animal Hospitals
R.B. Cope, BSc, BVSc, PhD - Writing for dvm360®
Sharon M. Gwaltney-Brant , DVM, PhD, DABVT, DABT - Writing for Merck Veterinary Manual

Our editorial committee

Our medical review team is responsible for validating and maintaining the quality of our medical information.